The ISTQB Foundation Level Agile Tester Course is a 2-day course building on the fundamentals of testing in an agile environment.
NOTE: Elements of this course are now included in the ISTQB Foundation Level Syllabus version 4.0, released in 2023. Therefore, the course described here is needed ONLY for those with an older (2019 or before) CTAL certificate, and is required if they want to go on to take the ISTQB Advanced Agile Technical Tester certificate.
The course includes exercises and practice exam questions to highlight key aspects of the syllabus and to help participants understand and practice the concepts and methods presented.
To provide participants with the knowledge and skills necessary to become an effective member of an Agile team.
To explain the fundamentals of testing on Agile projects, including commonly used Agile development practices and processes.
To describe how to organise and estimate testing, how to apply risk-based testing on Agile projects, and to outline the tools typically used on Agile projects.
Who will benefit?
This 2-day course is appropriate for professionals in roles such as testers, test analysts, test engineers, test consultants, test managers, user acceptance testers, software developers, and anyone wishing to gain the ISTQB Foundation Level Agile Tester certificate.
This course may also be appropriate for anyone who wants a deeper understanding of software testing in the Agile world, such as project managers, quality managers, software development managers, business analysts, IT directors, and management consultants.
Candidates for the ISTQB Foundation Level Agile Tester certificate must hold the ISTQB Certified Tester Foundation Level certificate (CTFL) from 2019 or before. Those with the CTFL certificate based on v4.0 of the Foundation Syllabus do NOT need to take this course..
A candidate who achieves ISTQB Foundation Level Agile Tester certification, can be expected to:
- Collaborate in a cross-functional Agile team being familiar with principles and basic practices of Agile software development.
- Adapt existing testing experience and knowledge to Agile values and principles.
- Support the Agile team in planning test-related activities.
- Apply relevant methods and techniques for testing in an Agile project.
- Assist the Agile team in test automation activities.
- Help business stakeholders define understandable and testable user stories and acceptance criteria.
- Work and share information with other team members using effective communication styles and channels.
Agile Software Development
- The Fundamentals of Agile Software Development
- Aspects of Agile Approaches
Fundamental Agile Testing Principles, Practices, and Processes
- The Differences between Testing in Traditional and Agile Approaches
- Status of Testing in Agile Projects
- Role and Skills of a Tester in an Agile Team
Agile Testing Methods, Techniques, and Tools
- Agile Testing Methods
- Assessing Quality Risks and Estimating Test Effort
- Techniques in Agile Projects
- Tools in Agile Projects
The Foundation Level Agile Tester Certificate is awarded to those who pass a one hour multiple-choice exam of 40 questions that is set, moderated, marked and invigilated by an ISTQB licensed Exam Provider. Candidates must score 65% or more to pass the exam.
The exam can be taken as part of the course or at a later date. It can also be taken online.